Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mental block no more.


“Help! I can't write anymore for my speech! I just can’t come out with any ideas!”

Does it ever happened to you when sometimes you just just stare at the empty space of your mind, and you just can’t figure out what to write for your speech?

It does happen to me before, and I think it’s still going to happen to me anytime; sooner, and also, I am not surprise it’s going to happen to me later.

I think this is common to any speakers, writers, creators, innovators, idealist, inventors, philosophers, novelists… basically anyone who would like to come out with original ideas! So, how to overcome this mental block problem?

For this article, I would like to share with everyone some tips on how to overcome the mental block problem:-

  1. Apply Rudyard Kipling’s Secret of Speech Writing. Kipling has a method called the six “serving men”, where just answer the six questions of what, where, when, how, why, and who – and you will find your idea flowing again!
  2. The “Reinforce your idea” method. Stuck with part with a speech? Just do a research on your topic again, in the internet and any writings about the speech. See how other writers or presenters comments about the particular issue. I did this a few times before and it works for me!
  3. Stop doing the crafting and do something else. When sometimes I stuck, I just drop my thinking cap and take a walk, listen to a song, take a shower, go for a jog, or chat with another friend. Do something that relaxes you and the speech idea will come back to you in a while! Most of my speech ideas show themselves when I am taking a shower!

Hope these tips helps you and I wish everyone happy speech crafting!

No comments: